Along the La Belle journey, it’s been an absolute honour to have met so many talented customers, artists and fellow creators. I’ve loved seeing my bridal combs, wreaths, pins and veils showcased by imaginative hair stylists in blog and magazine photoshoots, and at weddings all across the world. Seriously — the icing on top of the cake (pun totally intended)!
One of the reasons I started this business 6 years ago was to help brides-to-be enjoy a stress-free wedding — creating fail-safe, boho-luxe hair adornments and dishing out great advice.
Amy Griffiths is one of those super-clever ladies who I can’t wait to introduce to all our lovely readers because she is full of wedding-day secrets. A professional hairstylist based in both Sydney, Australia and Toronto, Canada, Amy is the owner and lead stylist of a glamorous team of international bridal and event hair specialists: Bridal Hair Collective.
As part of La Belle’s blog post series — which explores how brides can achieve gorgeous hair on their wedding day no matter the cut, colour or condition — the amazing Amy let us in on all her tricks and secrets. Stay tuned for more to come in the following weeks.
From one fine haired lady to another I understand the frustration and limitations that can come with owning a finer head of hair, today I am sharing my go to tips and advice on how to get those fine haired strands to work just the way you want them to on your special day!
1. Nourish the hair: Fine hair can often grow at a snail’s pace and be extremely fragile and prone to breakage or damage, to ensure your hair is at its healthiest consider adding a hair growth and strengthening supplement to your regime. There are many varieties available and I recommend trying some of them in the lead up to your wedding day! Biotin, silica, and zinc are all great supplements to assist with the healthy growth and development of hair & nails. Find the one that is best suited to your needs and budget keep in mind these supplements can take 6-8 months until you see any results so start early.
2. Plump up the volume: Select a professional range of shampoo & conditioner that has volumizing or thickening benefits, they are often less likely to weigh the hair down or make it oily making the hair look thicker and fuller.
3. Shampoo less: I know this can seem like an impossible cycle to break although it’s worth persevering through a few bad hair days to achieve a balanced & healthy scalp. Shampooing the hair more often then required strips the hair of its natural oils causing your scalp to overproduce the oils that have been stripped from over washing. To achieve a balanced scalp limit shampooing & conditioning to three to four times a week. Only apply your conditioner on the ends of your hair.
4. Protect your hair: Heat damage from hot tools is often underestimated and once the hair has been exposed to heat damage your only option is to cut it off! If you are using heat styling tools such as blow-dryers, curling irons or flat irons ensure you are using a thermal protection spray to prevent heat damage in the lead up to your wedding day.
5. Volumize with color: Hair color can create an illusion of thicker/denser hair when placed strategically. I recommend a multi-dimensional look with 2-3 shades of variation to make your hair look thicker. Always add a professional treatment after your color service such as Olaplex and avoid over lightening the hair which can lead to breakage and damage.
6. Add Volume: Adding hair extensions to your wedding day hairstyle can be the perfect instant fix to longer thicker hair that will have the benefit of longer lasting hairstyling results on your wedding day. Hair padding (synthetic hair) is also a great alternative to hair extensions to achieve additional volume, and shape to bridal updos.
I hope you enjoy the first post from Amy today. If you have any questions or need some advice, please comment it here- Amy will surely get back to you. For more inspiration or if you like to book Amy for your wedding day, please contact Amy via her website and Instagram.
Did you know the humble hair pin is not so humble after all? Used by women across the world for centuries, this little accessory packs a whole lot of glamour and versatility. From Old Hollywood slides glimpsed on red carpets to super cute pins criss-crossed for decorative effect, the hair pin has transformed from the simple bobby pin to a more flamboyant version of itself.
Here at La Belle, we ADORE the hairpin. It’s the perfect hair accessory for any bride looking to make an understated or extravagant statement. Wear singularly or cluster together, boldly mix and match, or aim for minimalism. To celebrate our beautiful June Blossom Hair Pin with its artful spray of freshwater pearl buds and beautiful ivory blooms, La Belle has put together a mini-guide of all the ways to wear them.
1. Slide across bangs to sweep hair off the face. Think golden era Hollywood or art deco elegance.
2. Pin above a loose chignon at the nape of the neck. Perfect for subtle wedding day looks and ‘less is more’ statements.
3. Create the illusion of a larger hair piece over the top of a bridal veil. Add as many pins as you want depending of the aesthetic you’re going for.
4. Slip into the top of a crown chignon for an eye-catching effect. This classic ancient Greek look is the ultimate in sophistication.
5. Scatter through braids, plaits or pixie cuts for a carefree bohemian look. Think 1960’s hippy chic or Drew Barrymore’s iconic 90’s look.
6. Secure into twists along the side of the head to re-create an angelic wreath effect.
7. Slide above a sleek, ponytail that trails down the back.
Rose gold: who can resist it? Here at La Belle we simply love, love, love it! A gorgeous twist on traditional yellow rose gold is imbued with the warmest, pink-tinged tones. What better a metal and colour to incorporate into your wedding? Let us tell you why it’s so special.
First fashionable in Russia throughout the 19th century, rose gold was later used in jewellery in the ornate Victorian era. In the Roaring 20’s, iconic jeweller Cartier won a legion of fans by integrating this precious metal into his pieces. Women valued it for its beautiful glimmer and warmer, romantic appeal.
Today, this copper-infused alloy is a must for weddings and engagements — think rings and bands and hair accessories; there are so many ways to utilise it!
Here are our top ten tricks for bringing a little rose gold fever to your big day. It’s the metallic you’ve always dreamed about but never knew how to incorporate!
1) Wedding Rings:
Rose gold wedding rings are a beautiful twist on their traditional yellow counterparts. Complimentary to any skin tone, invest in a pair of gorgeous bands.
From extravagant, Cinderella-style gowns embellished with the frothiest pink tulle to sparkling fitted numbers reminiscent of Old Hollywood movies, a rose gold wedding dress is a magic alternative to classic ivory and white. A bride never looks drained in this sophisticated colour. We dare you to try it!
Rose gold hair accessories are an incredible way to glam up in style. Offering a bohemian and vintage aesthetic, select from tiaras, crowns, and slides. La Belle’s very own rose gold hair adornments have featured at a plethora of weddings and in glossy magazine photo shoots. Fall in love with our Camelia Rose Gold Crown with its delicate blooms and handcrafted leaves, or swoon over our Aubree Comb with its subtle rose gold beading.
From the envelopes themselves to the typographical lettering, rose gold can be utilised in a number of clever ways in the lead up to your wedding. Located a print shop that can produce high quality metallic inks, or scour the internet for the most precious rose gold stationery, wax stamps and ribbons.
Whether you desire a six-tiered frosted extravaganza or a collection of heavenly cupcakes, nothing looks more divine than a wedding cake with rose gold touches. Alternative tiers of ivory and rose gold look incredible when stacked. Have your cake designer make rose gold flowers and ribbon flourishes to decorate the layers.
If you want to keep yourself in white and your cake to match your dress, why not incorporate rose gold into the reception table setting — think candles, glasses, and trinkets.
The perfect hue to include in your bouquet, touches of rose gold can be added with either natural flowers or blooms that have been professionally sprayed. Mix pink tinged peonies and roses with elegant calla lilies before finishing with a rose gold ribbon that shimmers iridescently.
Rose gold earrings and necklaces look incredible when teamed with swept pack hair or a sleek and shiny down do. A fusion of princes’s perfection and old-world elegance, rose gold jewellery offers a timeless bridal look.
Dresses Wanting to jazz up your wedding day with something a little out of the ordinary, whilst still keeping things super classy? Rose gold coloured bridesmaid dresses are an amazing way to do this. From sassy sequins to ethereal chiffon, this elegant and feminine colour looks complimentary on everyone!
Forget deep earthen hues and get fresh! Rose gold makeup offers every bride the opportunity to sparkle and impress. From glimmering eyeshadows that shine under sunlight to understated lipsticks that keep things natural, highlight your face with a warm summer palate and ditch the heavy pancake layers.
My power-words for 2016 were “ACT” and “FOCUS”. It was hard to pick a single word, so I was naughty and chose two. I think this duo pretty much encapsulates my business journey over the past year as I’ve grown and expanded La Belle to the beast it is now!
Working day-to-day in the most beautiful industry, around the most glamorous fabrics and findings, it has sometimes been hard for me to stay focused when there’s inspiration literally dripping from everything! I always said there were a million things I could do or sell but I choose to stay true to designing and crafting bridal accessories. This focus has rewarded me with interest and connections from all over the globe, and for this I am thankful.
I also acted on instinct over the past year, rebranding La Belle and cultivating the business. It’s been a most rewarding 12 months, so I want to thank all my lovely readers and customers for everything.
For quite some time, many moons ago,La Belle looked very different than it does now. Today, I want to explore with you the importance of getting your brand aesthetic just right, whether you’re a successful entrepreneur, a newly seeded startup, or a small boutique owner.
Branding is such a crucial aspect of your business. It communicates to your client base who you are, what you stand for, what you love, the experience someone will have with your product or service, and a ton of other truly important elements.
Before the latest incarnation of La Belle, I felt as if my branding didn’t speak on my behalf. Sure, it was nice, but I knew I hankered for something else. For a little while, I was hesitant to take the leap and when I did, the changes I sought were not met by designers with a similar vision. I hired 6 creatives to redevelop my website and went through several logo transformations!
That all changed when I partnered with two ingenious and talented designers. I guess sometimes you have to make a few missteps along the way to find the right people!
Website designer Blush Creative and brand stylist Fifth Avenuesaved the day with their innovative and stunning visual work. My logo, website and merchandise photography went from satisfactory and pleasing to simply sublime!
Using a colour palette featuring the prettiest pastels paired with metallic gold, classic ebony and slate grey, we were able to communicate a sophisticated and feminine look that would truly last the ages.
During our collaborations we explored mood boards filled with incredible imagery — think dreamy cushions, beautiful brides, Italian marbling, art deco inspired geometry, clean surfaces, and gold on white patterning. Typographical font was kept simple, allowing my wedding veils and bridal hair adornments to take centre stage and shine, whilst a fresh new website allowed clients to easily navigate the menu, browse products and buy.
These two incredible companies took the La Belle vision and brought them to life. I honestly own them a million glasses of top-shelf pink champagne for getting it right!
On a final note, as we look forward to what 2017 has in store for us, I have chosen two new words for the La Belle journey this year: ROOTED and INTENTIONAL. I want every area of my life and business to be rooted in truth and creativity, and intentional in the way I conduct every aspect of my business.
Have you experienced your own branding mishap, or are you in the process of a major revamp or business launch? Let us in on all your juicy gossip by commenting in the box below. I’m also curious to find out what your power-words are for 2017. Have some fun thinking of them, then drop me a line and tell me…
It’s that time of year again! Pantone has announced their official colour for 2017.
Greenery you say? Yes, Greenery! A lush shade that’s kind of like a cross between olives ripened in the sun and beautiful ferns and moss found deep in the rainforest.
This botanical-inspired hue is all the rage at weddings right now and we totally understand why — it’s absolutely versatile!
Greenery looks amazing when teamed with other colours. We love it paired with gold, pink, white, silver and even copper. Ideal for brides wanting to showcase a bohemian, organic, wood-nymph or garden vibe on their big day, let’s discover all the ways you can utilise this bold new shade.
1. Bridal Headpieces
Ever-so-easy for brides to achieve, glam up an amazing wedding-day hairdo with a greenery hairpiece. If you’re on a budget or want a truly au-natural look, fashion a crown of fern fronds or eucalypt leaves dotted with roses, daisies or jasmine. Alternatively, shop an exquisite range of greenery inspired hair accessories handmade at La Belle. Our headpiece: Jasmine floral bridal headpiece is a perfect example.
For a truly ethereal look, have your venue stylist hang vines and trailing ferns from lanterns or from the ceiling. Alternatively, host your reception outside under eucalypts trees fragrant with perfume. Tables look absolutely magical scattered with fronds and leaves, or when highlighted with green hued accessories such as candles, runners and napkins.
If you’re hosting a garden wedding, invest in an amazing florist and an event stylist that specialises in outdoor settings. A wedding arch covered in foliage and blossoms such as ferns, eucalypts, magnolia, jasmine, dusty miller and roses makes an incredible big-day visual.
If you’re feeling super bold, invest in a collection of green bridesmaid dresses for your big-day posse. Not only will your girlfriends look sophisticated and timeless, they’ll also provide incredible contrast against your white wedding gown and veil.
From green ink to green tinged paper, there are dozens of ways to incorporate your favourite colour into your reception menu. How about printing a foliage-inspired border or placing a fern frond atop of it?
From elegantly draped tablecloths to precious antique dinnerware, highlight the sweetheart table at your wedding with an enchanting shade of green. Foliage can be fastened to the outside of the cloth or woven around the table legs for a fresh, bohemian look.
Do you have any other great ideas on how to incorporate the Pantone colour of the year into a wedding? Leave your ideas and musings in the message box. We’d sure love to hear them!
Flat lay photography is all the rage right now. One peek at your Instagram feed and you’ll notice highly stylised images jam-packed with fashion items, trinkets, and other dreamy goods. Here at La Belle, we love a good flat lay picture. It’s a clever way to curate all your favourite items and tell a story whilst you’re at it.
Recently, La Belle collaborated with Dominique Flowers (a Sydney based botanical art and design studio specialising in romantic arrangements and creative direction for editorial shoots, weddings and events), and We Are Origami (a Sydney photography studio run by visionary soul mates David and Belle).
Be inspired by our flay lay wedding shoot and pick up some handy tips and tricks along the way.
HOW TO MASTER THE ART of FLAT LAY PHOTOGRAPHY:
1) Select items that are cohesive. Telling a story through aesthetics is relatively easy if you marry your items to a single theme and pleasing colour palette.
2) Shoot in a square. This means no cropping come presentation time. All your gorgeous items will be visible through the camera, or on your cell phone screen.
3) Composition is everything. Think carefully about how you’ll place your items. Do you seek a minimalist look or an over the top vibe? Sometimes it’s smart to select a feature item and cascade the others around it.
4) Find good lighting. Natural sun makes metallics and gemstones to shimmer and allows colours truly pop! Inside lights can cast a soft and beautiful glow over the shoot. Play around until you find the perfect balance.
5) Cheat a little with filters. Or if you’re a real stickler for perfection, jump onto Adobe Photoshop if you are using a DSLR camera, for a little touching up. Alternatively, if you are using an Iphone or Android, there are plenty of free apps you can use to edit your photos like: Snapseed, A Color Story, VSCO, etc. I hear Afterlight is a great app for Iphone users!
6) Snap away. A bird’s eye view will serve you well. If you’re feeling a little artistic, angle the camera ever so slightly.
Dream big. Have fun. And if you’ve got any clever tips and tricks for styling the perfect flat lay photograph, please share them with us in the comments box below.