THE ART OF FLAT LAY PHOTOGRAPHY | BRIDAL FASHION | BRIDAL STYLE | BRIDAL HAIR ACCESSORY | LA BELLE THE LABEL
Flat lay photography is all the rage right now. One peek at your Instagram feed and you’ll notice highly stylised images jam-packed with fashion items, trinkets, and other dreamy goods. Here at La Belle, we love a good flat lay picture. It’s a clever way to curate all your favourite items and tell a story whilst you’re at it.
Recently, La Belle collaborated with Dominique Flowers (a Sydney based botanical art and design studio specialising in romantic arrangements and creative direction for editorial shoots, weddings and events), and We Are Origami (a Sydney photography studio run by visionary soul mates David and Belle).
Be inspired by our flay lay wedding shoot and pick up some handy tips and tricks along the way.
HOW TO MASTER THE ART of FLAT LAY PHOTOGRAPHY:
1) Select items that are cohesive. Telling a story through aesthetics is relatively easy if you marry your items to a single theme and pleasing colour palette.
2) Shoot in a square. This means no cropping come presentation time. All your gorgeous items will be visible through the camera, or on your cell phone screen.
3) Composition is everything. Think carefully about how you’ll place your items. Do you seek a minimalist look or an over the top vibe? Sometimes it’s smart to select a feature item and cascade the others around it.
4) Find good lighting. Natural sun makes metallics and gemstones to shimmer and allows colours truly pop! Inside lights can cast a soft and beautiful glow over the shoot. Play around until you find the perfect balance.
5) Cheat a little with filters. Or if you’re a real stickler for perfection, jump onto Adobe Photoshop if you are using a DSLR camera, for a little touching up. Alternatively, if you are using an Iphone or Android, there are plenty of free apps you can use to edit your photos like: Snapseed, A Color Story, VSCO, etc. I hear Afterlight is a great app for Iphone users!
6) Snap away. A bird’s eye view will serve you well. If you’re feeling a little artistic, angle the camera ever so slightly.
Dream big. Have fun. And if you’ve got any clever tips and tricks for styling the perfect flat lay photograph, please share them with us in the comments box below.
Signing off from snap land!